Commonly Used Agricultural Terminology

Note: These terms are “general” and “not specific” to any one policy. Refer to your policy or consult with your Agent for a more precise definition. (not for legal use) It is important to note that this information is for learning purposes only and that your particular “actual” policy terms an definitions “can and will” vary from Insurance Company to Insurance Company, State to State and Agricultural Insurance line.  If you need a further explanation please call 209-223-1870 or 888-299-1870.

Crop Insurance

Glossary / Crop Insurance

This table of Glossary terms is intended for general use only. The words in this table are most often associated with Crop Insurance
Word or TermGeneral DefinitionLink USDA or other
SRA - Standard Reinsurance AgreementA written agreement between the Insurer and the Reinsurer
AIP - Approved Insurance Providers
COI - Conflict of Interest StatementMust be filed by the "Acreage Reporting Date." All All affiliates, including, but not limited to, agents, agencies, and loss adjusters, are required to disclose to the Company any Business, financial, or legal relationship that the affiliate has with a policyholder, wheter the affiliate is a relative of the policyholder, or whether the affiliate has a substantial beneficial interest in the policyholder. (this is just a brief portion of the text) More information can be obtain in the SRA. SRA - Standard Reinsurance Agreement
FCIC - Federal Crop Insurance Corporation
Federal Agricultural Improvement and Reform Act of 1996Section 226A - provides a subsidy and reinsurance on eligible crop insurance contracts sold by theCompany.
Federal Crop Insurance Act
Federal Acquisition Regulations
Affiliatemeans any person, including, but not limited to, a managing general agent, agent, service provider, and loss adjuster, that: (1) collects premiums, services the policy, adjusts, or settles claims; (2) collects, processes, manages, and reports electronic data for the purposes of selling, administering, or servicing eligible crop insurance contracts for the Company; or (3) directly or indirectly, through one or more intermediaries, has the authority to control any aspect of the management of the book of business or any other decision made under this Agreement, without the prior and specific approval from the Company. This definition excludes commercial reinsurers and PICs if such reinsurers or PICs do not have the authority to control any aspect of the management of the book of business or any other decision made under this Agreement, without the prior and specific approval from the Company.
Billing Datemeans the date specified in the actuarial data master file as the date by which policyholders are billed for premium due on eligible crop insurance contracts.
CAT - Catastrophic Risk Protection
CAT LAEmeans the reimbursement paid by FCIC for eligible crop insurance contracts at the CAT level (as authorized in section 508(b) of the Act) (7 U.S.C. § 1508(b)) in accordance with section 508(b)(11) of the Act (7 U.S.C. § 1508(b)(11)).
Cedemeans to pass to another all or part of the net book premium and associated liability for ultimate net losses on eligible crop insurance contracts.
Cooperative Association for the purposes of section 508(b)(5)(B) of the Act (7 U.S.C. § 1508(b)(5)(B)) means a member owned and controlled entity that is recognized by the State in which the entity is doing business as a cooperative related to agriculture.
Drug Free Workplacehas the meaning provided in 7 C.F.R. § 3021.635.
Immediate Familymeans an individual’s father, mother, stepfather, stepmother, brother, sister stepbrother, stepsister, son, daughter, stepson, stepdaughter, grandparent, grandson, granddaughter, father-in-law, mother-in-law, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, son-in-law, daughter-in-law, the spouse of the foregoing, and the individual’s spouse.
Insurable Interesthas the same meaning as the term “share” in the applicable eligible crop insurance contract.
Loss Ratiomeans the ratio calculated by dividing the ultimate net loss by the net book premium, expressed as a percentage. For example, if $1 ultimate net loss is paid and 50 cents net book premium is received, this would be expressed as a 200 percent loss ratio.
NAIC - National Association of Insurance Comissioners


United States Department of Agriculture

Glossary / USDA

USDA - United States Department of Agriculture Agencies and Offices
Word or TermGeneral Definition meaningLink USDA or Other
AMS - Agricultural Marketing ServicesAMS facilitates the strategic marketing of agricultural products in domestic and international markets while ensuring fair trading practices and promoting a competitive and efficient marketplace. AMS constantly works to develop new marketing services to increase customer satisfaction.USDA - AMS - Agricultural Marketing ServicesUSDA - AMS
ARS - Agricultural Research ServiceThe Agricultural Research Service (ARS) is the principal in-house research agency of the USDA. ARS is charged with extending the Nation's scientific knowledge through the administration of its national programs, as well as by conducting research projects in animal and crop production and protection, human nutrition, food safety, bioenergy, the environment, and other topics that affect the American people on a daily basis. ARS Information: Telephone: (301) 504-1636ARS - Agricultural Research Service
APHIS - Animal and Plant Health Inspection ServiceThe Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) makes a significant contribution to the value of the Nation’s food supply by protecting U.S. agricultural resources from pests and diseases, managing wildlife damage, regulating genetically engineered organisms, and administering the Animal Welfare Act. APHIS programs integrate plant and animal disease surveillance, epidemiology, emergency response, and information delivery to ensure the marketability of U.S. agricultural products. APHIS also works to resolve and manage trade issues related to animal or plant health. APHIS Information: Telephone: (301) 851-4049APHIS - Animal Plant Health Inspection Service
CNPP - Center for Nutrition Policy and PromotionThe Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion (CNPP) establishes Federal nutrition policy through the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, sets priorities for nutrition research, sets nutrition standards, and disseminates dietary guidance. It maintains the MyPlate food guidance system. CNPP Information: Telephone: (703) 305-7600CNPP - Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion
ERS - Economic Research ServiceThe Economic Research Service (ERS) is a primary source of economic information and research in USDA. ERS conducts its research program to inform public and private decision making on economic and policy issues involving food, farming, natural resources, and rural development. ERS's economists and social scientists conduct research, analyze food and commodity markets, produce policy studies, and develop economic and statistical indicators. ERS staff disseminates economic information and research results through an array of outlets. ERS Information: Telephone: (202) 694-5000ERS - Economic Research Service
FSA - Farm Service AgencyThe Farm Service Agency (FSA) ensures the well-being of American agriculture, the environment, and the American public through the administration of farm commodity programs; farm ownership, operating, and emergency loans; conservation and environmental programs; emergency and disaster assistance; and domestic and international food assistance. FSA programs are delivered through an extensive network of field offices in 2,248 USDA County Service Centers and 51 State Offices. FSA Information: Telephone: (202) 720-3467FSA - Farm Service Agency
FNS - Food and Nutrition ServiceThe Food and Nutrition Service (FNS) administers the USDA nutrition assistance programs that provide children and low-income people access to food, a healthful diet, and nutrition education. Programs include the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, formerly called the Food Stamp Program), the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC), School Lunch and Breakfast, among others. FNS Information: Telephone: (703) 305-2281FNS - Food and Nutrition Service
FSIS - Food Safety and Inspection ServiceTouching the lives of millions of people every day, the Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) is the public health agency responsible for ensuring that the Nation's commercial supply of meat, poultry, and processed egg products is safe, wholesome, and correctly labeled and packaged. FSIS also manages the USDA Meat and Poultry Hotline, which provides consumers with answers to their food safety questions. FSIS Information: Telephone: (202) 720-9113
FAS - Foreign Agricultural ServiceThe Foreign Agricultural Service (FAS) works to improve foreign market access for U.S. products and administers market development and export financing programs. FAS helps U.S. exporters develop and maintain markets overseas for U.S. food and agricultural products. FAS helps developing countries improve their agricultural systems and build their trade capacity. FAS Information: Telephone: (202) 720-7115FAS - Foreign Agricultiral Service
FS -Forrest ServiceThe Forest Service (FS) manages 193 million acres of public lands in 155 national forests and 20 grasslands and is the largest forestry research operation in the world. The Forest Service provides technical and financial assistance to help rural and urban citizens, including private landowners, care for forest, watersheds, and rangelands in their communities. FS Information: Telephone (202) 205-1680FS - Forrest Service
GIPSA - Grain Inspection, Packers and Stockyards AdministrationThe Grain Inspection, Packers and Stockyards Administration (GIPSA) facilitates the marketing of livestock, poultry, meat, cereals, oilseeds, and related agricultural products. The agency promotes fair and competitive trading practices for the overall benefit of consumers and American agriculture. GIPSA Information: Telephone: (202) 720-0219GIPSA - Grain Inspection, Packers and Stockyards Administration
NASS - National Agricultiral Statistics ServicesThe National Agricultural Statistics Service (NASS) is the official Federal statistical agency for agriculture. The agency serves U.S. agricultural and rural communities with accurate, timely, and useful statistical products and services that are vital information to monitor the ever-changing agricultural sector and carry out farm policy. Every 5 years NASS conducts the Census of Agriculture, which is the only source of uniform, comprehensive agricultural data for every county in the United States. NASS Information:
Telephone: NASS Hotline 1 (800) 727-9540
NASS -National Institute of Food and Agriculture
NRCS - Natural Resources Conservation ServiceThe Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) helps people help the land through scientifically based, locally led voluntary conservation efforts and improve natural resources on private lands. NRCS work results in productive lands and a healthy environment through reduced soil erosion; water and air quality; energy conservation; restored woodlands and wetlands; enhanced fish and wildlife habitat; and reduced upstream flooding. NRCS Information: Telephone: (202) 720-3210NRCS - Natural Resources Conservation Service
RMA - Risk Management AgencyThe Risk Management Agency (RMA) administers the Federal Crop Insurance Corporation (FCIC) programs and promotes national welfare by improving the economic stability of agriculture through a secure system of crop insurance and risk management tools. Through a network of public and private-sector partners, RMA creates crop insurance and risk management products, provides risk management education and outreach, and ensures program accessibility and integrity. RMA Information: Telephone: (202) 690-2803
RD - Rural DevelopmentUSDA Rural Development (RD) is composed of Rural Business-Cooperative Programs, Rural Housing and Community Facilities Programs, and Rural Utilities Programs. RD offers rural communities a broad array of financial, technical, and educational resources in order to establish and grow rural businesses and cooperatives. RD provides financing for single family homes and multi-family housing developments, and essential community facilities. RD helps to finance the development of electric, telephone, telecommunication, and water and wastewater infrastructures to create affordable utilities. RD Information: Telephone: 1 (800) 670-6553
NAD - National Appeals DivisionThe National Appeals Division (NAD) is responsible for providing hearings for program participants who receive adverse decisions from the Farm Service Agency, Risk Management Agency, Natural Resources Conservation Service, and Rural Development’s Rural Business-Cooperative Development Service, Rural Housing Service, and Rural Utilities Service. Filing an appeal provides an opportunity to present the dispute, either face to face or on the telephone to a NAD Hearing Officer. NAD Information: Telephone: 1 (877) 487-3262


Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply